Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Journal #2 Aquillin Hayes



Getting on the plane seemed to sit well with everyone. They were all excited to reach their first checkpoint in DUBLIN, Ireland, and of course experience more of the Irish accent. However, for me, it didn't go so well. Coach Smith, with the assistance of two awesome, Irish flight attendants practically had to force me to get on the plane. It was the most daring and the most difficult decision i had to make of my short, yet precious 18 years of life; within the span of 4 minutes. I had to do it. It was a risk i was willing to take because who knew if this opportunity would come again. Gasping for air and trying to go unnoticed by the seated people i finally decided to get on the plane. After boarding the plane we were all politely rushed to sit down in our assigned seats. As if a tall, handsome, and nicely groomed guy appeared on the screen, most of my teammates immediately became attracted to the 10-inch built-in television in front of them and the fancy double-sided remote/video game controller situated at the peak of their waist. However, Ayana Duncanson gave her undivided attention to me. I just couldn't stop crying. She had confidence that her persuasive skills would transform my negative thoughts into positive, fluffy ones. She promised that the flight would land safely and "everything was going to be okay." It was as if my older sister was right by my side. Indeed, that situation gave me a different outlook on her. That was THE moment when i felt this trip was going to be the best 10 days of my life. That moment assured me that "there are no shortcuts to place worth going" said by Beverly Sills and honored by me. Italy was that place. And whatever it took to get there i had to do it. Besides the tilt of our bodies as the plane took off, experiencing the popping of our ears, which caused us to chew gum vigorously and swallow saliva repeatedly, brought the flight into full effect. Had it been for this i would've never gotten the chance to actually feel what it's like.  Although experiencing some minor turbulence, surprisingly the plane ride went fairly smooth. Everyone was tuned in to their mini televisions or their over-the-counter drugs, hoping the guzzled down tablets would cause them to feel drowsy and soon cause them to fall asleep. For me, it was my journal and my continuous thoughts. No matter how bad i wanted to go to sleep, i couldn't. My eyes were in excruciating pain from dramatically crying a few hours ago and I kept getting a nauseating feeling every time i realized i was thousands of feet above the ground. My thoughts are what kept me awake. My curiosity level skyrocketed. I just had to look out the window. And when i did the dark, blue sky was filled with bright stars. Never even imagining being this close to the sky and even the clouds, a pleasant smile appeared on my face. 
Aquillin Hayes
#11

No comments:

Post a Comment